‘Becoming Colleen: Finding the Shoe that Fits’ is a documentary about an 85 year old transgender woman, transitioning from male to female in the coastal community of Coffs Harbour on the NSW mid-north coast. Having lived most of her life as Colin – a husband, father, policeman, film-projectionist and self-declared shoe fetishist, Colleen has had to negotiate her gender transition later in life.
More than a documentary about the transitioning of an elderly transgender woman: this is a story of Col and her wife Heather: two people whose love transcended their gender roles; a small community that comes together to support a woman in pursuit of her greatest dream; and how finding exactly the right pair of shoes can be a perfect fit.
On today’s show, my close friend Craig Mack and I interview writer, producer & director, Ian Thomson, who with the support of Queer Screen, Acon, STC and Documentary Australia Foundation, has pulled together this most beautiful and evocative journey that touches on so many important social issues of our time.
Not only does it shine a light on the world and life of a transgender lady growing up in rural Australia and the challenges that she faces along the way, this is story of inclusiveness, being true to yourself, spending time with and cherishing the elderly, evolving interpersonal relationships with friends, family and strangers, demonstrating the need for understanding, striving to learn from and showing empathy for people in the world around us, especially if they view the world a little bit differently to or approach life from a slightly different perspective to us.
It makes me proud to share this work of art and I hope you that enjoy this story as much as I do!
‘Hot & Delicious: Rocks The Planet’ entertainment, travel, photography & lifestyle blog:
For social media strategy, content/photography & influencer business enquiries contact: email@example.com
This entry was posted in Lifestyle, Podcast and tagged Acon, agency, art, awareness, Becoming Colleen, blog, blogger, Bondi, Bondi Beach, Coffs Harbour. documentary, Collen Young, Craig Mack, Dan Wilkinson, director, Documentary Australia Foundation, entrepreneur, film, Finding The Shoe That Fits, Hot & Delicious, Hot & Delicious Records, Hot and Delicious, Hot and Delicious Rocks The Planet, hotndelicious, Ian Thomson, independent, indie, innovation, LGBT, LGBTQIA, Mardi Gras, Mardi Gras Film Festival, marketing, MGFF, podcast, podcaster, podcasting, producer, Queer Screen, social conscience, social issues, Sydney, Sydney Mardi Gras, writer.
- Lauren’s evolution from career model to Social Media Influencer with a highly engaged audience of 1.2 million Facebook fans, 169K Instagram followers and 33K+ Twitter followers.
- Driving ecommerce for brands:
- Via video/still content and what platforms to use.
- By partnering with the right social media influencer.
- TheRight.Fit influencer app and how brands are using this Australian platform to drive successful social media influencer relationships and campaigns.
- What brands should look for when seeking a social media influencer for their brand. Genuine social media influencers Vs wannabe Instagram models (both male and female).
- ROI and Measures of Success – in the mind of the influencer and how they differ from how brand marketers view ROI?
- Best Practice for Brands with examples from Tuscan Tan, Cadbury Dairy Milk Chocolate and Philadelphia Cream Cheese.
- Top Tips for Social Media Influencers looking to generate mutually beneficial ongoing relationships with brands.
- The Secrets of Engaging Customers Online – for both brands and social media influencers.
Special thank yous for everyone who had a part in making this a reality:
- Lauren Vickers.
- Macleay College:
- Ian Thomson (Head of Faculty).
- Jeremy Taylor Riley (Social Media Strategy Lecturer).
- Alex Newall.
- The Production Team.
- Benjamin Sopronick.
- Mitchell Dodds.
- Cisco Corea
- Cat Douglas (Marketing and Social Media Manager).
- Taryn Williams (Founder & CEO – theright.fit).
- Grant Flannery (Strategy Director – co:collective).
This entry was posted in Lifestyle, Podcast, Social Media and tagged ambition, Australia, aviation, Ballistyx Snowboard Show, best practice, blog, blogger, Bondi, Bondi Beach, Bondi Beach Radio, Bulmers Original Cider, Cadbury Dairy Milk Chocolate, Cancer Council Australia, Cat Douglas, Channel GO!, craftbeerlovin, Dan Wilkinson, digital, Driving ecommerce, Emirates, Emirates Airline, entrepreneur, Grant Flannery, Hot & Delicious, Hot & Delicious Group, Hot & Delicious Records, Hot & Delicious Rocks The Planet, Hot and Delicious, Hot and Delicious Rocks The Planet, hotndelicious, Ian Thomson, influencer, influencer app, inspiration, Instagram, Instagram Business Blog, interview, iTunes, Jeremy Taylor Riley, Kraft Peanut Butter, Lauren Vickers, Macleay College, marketing, Melbourne, model, music industry, Peroni Italian Beer, Philadelphia Cream Cheese, podcast, podcaster, podcasting, Return On Investment, ROI, social enterprise, social entrepreneur, social media, Social Media Influencer, Social Media Influencer ROI, social media strategist, Splendour in The Grass, startup, success, Sydney, Taryn Williams, The Secrets of Engaging Customers Online, TheRight.Fit, Top Tips for Social Media Influencers, triple j, Tuscan Tan, Twitter Business Blog, university, video, wanderlust, YouTube.